Most Church of Ireland parish registers do not have indexes and there is no single comprehensive index to all their contents.
In general, in order to prosecute a successful search in parish registers you need a name, a date and a place name.
However, there are a number of ongoing projects to index genealogical material on a county basis and some of these projects have included Church of Ireland records: details may be had from the Irish Family History Society.
The Cobh Genealogical Project (firstname.lastname@example.org) is indexing Church of Ireland parish registers in Co. Cork.
The following publications and agencies can help with your preparations:
- Donal Begley (ed.), Irish genealogy. A record finder (Heraldic Artists, Dublin, 1981)
- John Grenham, Tracing your Irish ancestors (Gill & Macmillan, Dublin, 1992)
- Maire Mac Conghail & Paul Gorry, Tracing Irish ancestors (Harper Collins, Glasgow, 1997)
- Brian Mitchell, A new genealogical atlas of Ireland (Genealogical Publishing Co, Baltimore, 1988)
- Handlist of Church of Ireland parish registers in the Representative Church Body Library
(copies of this list, which is updated regularly, are available from RCB Library at €10.00 including postage, please click here)
- Association of Professional Genealogists, c/o Genealogical Office, 2 Kildare Street, Dublin 2, Ireland
- Irish Family History Society, PO Box 36, Naas, Co Kildare, Ireland
- National Archives, Bishop Street, Dublin 8, Ireland
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) , 66 Balmoral Avenue, Belfast, BT9 6NY, N. Ireland
- Ulster Historical Foundation , Balmoral Buildings, 12 College Square East, Belfast, BT1 6DD, N. Ireland
- The Irish Genealogical Research Societ y, Church of St Magnus the Martyr, Lower Thames Street, London, England