Added on 24/11/2012
Saturday 24 November 2012
The Church of Ireland community has been much exercised in recent weeks by the proposals for the re–alignment of teacher training which may see the Church of Ireland College of Education in Rathmines subsumed into a much larger entity based on Dublin City University. In this context a colloquium next Tuesday evening on the role, challenges and changes facing protestant education in Ireland assumes a heightened significance.
The colloquium has been organized by the Centre for the Study of Irish Protestantism which is based in the Department of Adult & Community Education in NUI Maynooth and will be held in Education House on the North Campus in Maynooth at 7.30pm, preceded by a reception at 7pm.
The speakers will be Dr Ken
Fennelly, Secretary of the General Synod Board of Education and Professor Anne
Ryan from the Department of Adult & Community Education in Maynooth. Dr
Anne Lodge, Principal of the Church of Ireland College of Education, will be
the chairperson and the Archbishop of Dublin has signified his attention to
attend. All are welcome.
Further information may be had from Tony Walsh at email@example.com
Today (Saturday) Cumann Gaelach na hEaglaise will host a bilingual spiritual outing to Glendalough while in Malahide the parish will hold its annual Christmas Market in the Parish Centre, Church Road, from 10am until 2pm. In St Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin, at 5.50pm the Knights of Sr Lazarus will hold an investiture service.
Tomorrow (Sunday) morning the Archbishop of Dublin will be in Killiney (Ballybrack) for the blessing of a new hall while in the evening in Castle Archdale parish, Co. Fermanagh, there will be a quiet service of comfort an hope which provides a space to remember loved ones, past and present, and to pray for and with those who are troubled or sick.
Tomorrow (Sunday) St. Michael’s Church, at the junction of Pery Square and Barrington Street, Limerick will be open to visitors from 11.30am to 5pm, coinciding with the Limerick Georgian Christmas Market being held in the area around the church building.
The church building, designed by the Pain brothers, and which opened for worship on 8th December 1844, features a striking Gothic tracery chancel window (1877), a beautiful vaulted ceiling of Norwegian Pine (1909), and many commemorative and memorial plaques commemorating various families associated with the church and Limerick.
At 4pm tomorrow (Sunday) the 8th annual ecumenical Walk of Light starts out from Adelaide Road Presbyterian church. After a welcome by the Presbyterian congregation and minister and a short act of worship, participants will visit the Church of Mary Immaculate, Refuge of Sinners, Rathmines, for a second short act of worship jointly prepared by the congregation there together with the Lutheran congregation in Adelaide Road. The final stop will be the Church of Ireland Church of the Holy Trinity in Rathmines. The Walk of Light [www.walkoflight.org] is jointly organised and supported by eight churches in the greater Leeson Street area, including the clergy and congregation of the Church of Ireland Churches of the Holy Trinity, St. Stephen’s and St. Ann’s, and St. Bartholomew’s, and is sponsored by the Dublin Council of Churches.
The lunchtime recital in St Mary’s cathedral, Limerick, on Wednesday will be given by the soprano, Sarah Shine, while Christ Church cathedral, Dublin, at 8pm there will be a recital, by David Bremner, of new music for the organ. In the crypt of Christ Church cathedral, at 7pm, Contemplative Outreach Ireland will host an introductory workshop into the method of centring prayer