Added on 30/01/2016
1916 Seminar in Dublin
Next Tuesday evening the parish church of St George & St Thomas, in Findlater Place, Cathal Brugha Street, Dublin, will host a seminar on the 1916 Rising. The church, which was built in the 1930s, to an award winning design by Frederick Hicks, replaced St Thomas’s church in Marlborough Street which was badly fire damaged in 1922 and subsequently demolished. Following the closure of St George’s church in Hardwicke Place, in 1990 the church was re–dedicated to St George & St Thomas.
The seminar, which has been co–ordinated by Dr Susan Hood from the Representative Church Body Library, has been organized by the Irish Society for Archives in conjunction with An Post. Entitled ‘Hidden Pages from the 1916 Rising’ it will feature five short presentations on little known archival sources for the Rising. The seminar will be chaired by Patsy McGarry, Religious Affairs Correspondent of The Irish Times.
The first speaker will be Colum O’Riordan from the Irish Architectural Archive on ‘Architectural Legacies of 1916’ followed by Ellen Murphy from Dublin City Library & Archive who will speak on ‘Reactions to the Easter Rising in the Monica Roberts Collection’. Moving beyond Dublin, Grainne Doran will consider events in Co. Wexford where she is the County Archivist. Padraig Allen will discuss the emergency medical response using the archives of the St John’s Ambulance Brigade and Stephen Ferguson, Assistant Secretary in An Post, will explore the experiences of the staff of the GPO during Easter Week. Following the addresses there will be an opportunity for questions and discussion.
The seminar will begin at 6.45pm with refreshments from 6pm. Admission is free and all are welcome.
The 1916 seminar follows a similar event organised by the ISA last year on ‘Hidden Pages of the First World War’, in collaboration with St Patrick’s Cathedral – see http://dublin.anglican.org/news/2015/02/Archivists-Research-Brings-Stories-of-Individuals-Involved-in-War-to-Life
Today (Saturday) the Bishop of Cork, Dr Paul Colton, will host a lunch for the National Spiritual and Religious Advisory Panel of Scouting Ireland, on which the Bishop represents the Church of Ireland, following a meeting of the NSRAP in the Bishop’s Palace.
Tomorrow (Sunday) at 3pm there will be a memorial service for the late Bishop Peter Barrett in St George’s church, Belfast, where he was vicar from 1990 until 1994. At 3.30pm in St Brigid’s cathedral, Kildare, the Cathedral Singers, directed by David O’Shea, will sing at the Patronal Festival Service. The preacher will be the Dean of Kildare, Dr John Marsden. In St John’s cathedral, Sligo, the Ven. Isaac Hanna, Rector of Drumcliffe, Lissadell & Munninane, will be installed as Archdeacon of Elphin & Ardagh in succession to the Revd Ian Linton who is now Rector of Drumragh in the Diocese of Derry.
Next Tuesday evening the Past Choristers Association of Christ Church cathedral, Dublin, will have a table quiz in the cathedral crypt beginning at 7.30pm. Further details may be had from Victor Coe at firstname.lastname@example.org
A new network of clergy and laity, called Credo, has been launched in Belfast. The network’s name is intended to indicate its roots in the Church’s baptismal faith and in the witness, prayer and theology of the Fathers and Mothers of the Early Church. Credo’s aim is not to rival or supplant other organizations but to contribute to the renewal of the Church of Ireland through ongoing reflection upon the formation and riches of the Anglican tradition. More information about Credo may be had at CredoCofI@gmail.com
Church of Ireland Notes from ‘The Irish Times’